Hey everyone! To celebrate the upcoming release of The Crown's Fate we thought we'd make a post about a few Russian fairy tales that take place both in the world of The Crown's Game and that takes place in our world. Some you might recognize and some you might not but but overall all of them are very interesting and worth checking out.
- In Russian folklore Baba Yaga is said to be a fearsome witch with iron teeth. (her appearance is skeleton-like and very thin)
- Although she creates a huge gust of wind and lots of noise when she appears she also likes to get rid of any trace of herself by sweeping it away with her broom and then flying away.
- She lives in a hidden hut that likes to move on large chicken feet whenever it feels like (almost like it has a mind of its own)
- While she is mostly seen as an evil and harmful witch she can also be portrayed as a wise helper.
- She might give out advice and tips to heroes or the pure of heart, that's one of the reasons that she is also called the Goddess of Wisdom.
|One of the many illustrations of Baba Yaga|
- Vodyanoy is said to be a male water spirit who appears as an old man with a frog-like face covered in algae, seaweed, fish scales, and other muck from the water
- Instead of fingers he has webbed paws and long green hair and beard
- He rides along his river on a half-sunk log, making loud splashes and drowning people that have the misfortune of encountering him
- If angered, Vodyanoy breaks dams, mills, drowns people, and takes some to be his underwater slave
- Many people give him offerings so that he can be calmed and not due the aforementioned things
- There once lived a very poor couple in a small village near the forest
- One day they had no food and the wife had to scrape flour out from the flour box to make them some bread
- Shaping the dough into a ball she baked it and set it down near the window to cool
- The dough ball came to life and rolled away to the forest where he convinced every animal that wanted to eat him not to eat him by singing
- That is until he met a red fox who tricked him into singing on his nose (saying that his hearing was bad) before getting tossed into the air and eaten
|Source Mountain of Gems Animation Channel|
- Kikimore is an evil spirit that can appear in two forms
- She either appears as the Bog Hag who is married to a hobgoblin or as the House Hag who is a house spirit
- The Bog Hag appears as a very ugly woman who wanders through marshes, scares people, and steals children
- The House Hag is a quiet spirit who stays by herself in her house and doesn't show herself to anyone
Want to check out more Russian fairytales and folklore click here!